Saturday 4 April 2015

Babaji!

I'm not religious... I went to a school that taught us about dharma and karma and how not to idol worship... We did havans weekly and learnt shlokas and prayers... i enjoyed it all... but never took it too seriously...

At home my grandmum prayed and did havan morning and evening... My dad always did puja in the morning... 

We did the usual diwali puja at home every year...  I enjoyed it.., wearing a new suit and pretty jewelry... Feeling all girly and indian!! 

Aadi comes from a religious family ... But they too don't do much.. Ma and granny do puja everyday.. But it's their own little private thing.. Nothing filmy where the whole family joins in or anything.. And the usual diwali and any other Sikh function we go to the the gurdwara and pray. 

I'm not averse to any of these... I'm not very pro active either.. But I would love for siddy to have some idea of things related to God and religion. 

I know today the word religion is looked upon as extremist... But I would still like him to know stories about the gurus who founded Sikhism ... The Krishna ramamayan stories.. Not in a very religious way but in just knowing them...

Aadi isn't very religious either... I think we both believe in the existence of a higher spirit but no real human form of a god... 

And while we don't visit temples or gurdwara on a daily or otherwise basis, we have this special connection with the golden temple... 

My connection is clearly because that's where I knew I had this bumling in me... And Aadi for his own reasons... So between us.. We have this one place we would like to visit annually..

And truly its a very calming, very serene space...and so pretty...

I think the both of us have a more spiritual inclination and that is what we would like Siddy to have as well.. But I think the trick is to let him find his own way and not force anything onto him...

I feel sometimes in not wanting to make our kids very religious we pull them away from all things religious so much that they could rebel and join a more cult like form of religion... 

It's better to let them explore and come to their own conclusions about God and other things beyond our understanding...

While saying this... This time in Jaipur Granny would take him to our little mandir in the house every morning and he fell in love with it... So he would take me every evening as well..

We would sit there for about half an hour... He would ask me about each picture.. Each God.. I answered to the best of my knowledge ....He would talk to them... Tell them stories.. And then he would touch them and touch his head... Basically he gave himself their blessings!!! 

And if you ask.. He will give them to you too!!!

It was adorable... His whole interaction with his 'Babaji' as he calls God right now...so innocent and so sweet! 

And when we came back home, we don't have a mandir at home... so when he saw the two little buddha statues we have and went to take blessings from them!




No comments:

Post a Comment