Thursday 9 October 2014

First PTA

I didn't care much about PTA's as a kid (Parent Teachers Associations) ... I already knew what my teachers were going to say about me...

I was a naughty kid.. who didn't like studying much... forgot her homework and books and was basically living in her own la la land most of the time!!

My mother already knew these things as well... so there was nothing to be worried....!

But come today... My little pudding's first PTA and I had little knots in my tummy!!

I know he's just 18 months old... I know its not like he's giving exams.... it wasn't anxiety over what the teacher would say... it was just the dawning of the thought that he was old enough to have a PTA in his school!!

My little bumling.... all grown up!

To start with made sure to at least dress up all grown up! You know how often when i look at him I feel somethings not right.. I'm a kid too how the hell do I have a kid? its a bizaare feeling!! So looking grown up was priority.

Then I made up my mind to not think about milestones that the kid should have reached and things he should be doing and saying....

Unfortunately i'm a part of a few mommy groups who every once in a while discuss at what age the kid ought to be doing what... by which month the teeth must come, by which he should stand with no support, by which he should say how many words...

Its stressful to be honest and except for the late teeth (which was most strange because come on, how many grown ups do you know who's teeth never came?!!!!) I have never let myself get drawn into these discussions....

So how ever he was doing at school was good enough for me...

Cut to me sitting in front of his teacher with my mom in law for company and the teacher had this form like a ratings form about a few parameters on which they judge their skills like motor skills and problem solving etc and I see that out of 20 he was good in about 15 and outstanding in about 5 and my heart sank!!!

I know i know its silly and stupid... but for that one instant I felt ... how come he isn't outstanding in more if not all? because his teacher couldn't stop raving about how good he is in class... how interactive he has become since the day he joined... how confident and inquisitive....

Then I looked at him playing with some building blocks and he looked so happy and thrilled with himself... and he looked at me and smiled and picked up a few blocks and came and gave them to me... and I realised that I better not ever get into that zone of pressuring him... of making him feel like he has to achieve certain milestones and get certain grades to be intelligent and smart...

I remember what my mum once told my teacher who was completely putting me down by saying if i didn't "buck up" i would fail in school and later in life and my mum said....

"Don't worry about her... She'll manage just fine"

and look at me today... doing what i love... with a bank of amazing experiences in terms of jobs what more could I want?

and what more can I want for Siddy?

So from here till his very last PTA i will be the chilled out mom... the trusting mom... the one who sees the most potential in her little pudding!


No comments:

Post a Comment