Sunday 16 June 2013

Breast Feeding... The Good The Bad The Ugly!!!

So you would think that your baby is born your breasts are super filled with milk... baby will latch on suck milk out all will be happy and merry.......

Right?

Wrong......

Breastfeeding for me atleast was one crazy experience..... I was so nervous in the hospital about it that I think I made the little one all nervous and together we were one big mess!!!

Except when that amazing nurse was around, Sulochna... my life saver.... I almost thought I would take her home with me or the baby wouldn't drink!!!

Don't get me wrong... it wasn't all bad and tough.... 60% of the time it really was a beautiful wonderful experience.... having a little baby be so close a part of you....  holding him, that little body that little bundle of joy and love.... right next to your heart.... nothing is more heart warming in this world....

Apart from that there are many other things that come into play....like li'l Sid refused my left breast from day one... i tried everything... all possible positions, a nipple guard, less of putting some salt and pepper for flavoring I tried it all!!!

Then as he grew... things like him not putting on enough weight start to become an issue.... and we put him to the bottle because he just had to reach a certain kilogram to be healthy....which of course made him into a lazy little bum and he started refusing my other breast as well :(

I still didn't give up... I bought a breast pump and started pumping everyday four to six times.... it was super exhausting but it got the job done...

Then my stupid pump broke and there was a break for almost a week which unfortunately dried me up :(

Even during that week I decided to put him on me again. but the munchkin was kind of confused!!!!

So finally after speaking to my doc I gave up...

It wasn't easy... everyone including me were hoping that I would feed till he was at least 6 months... but you know what it really isn't easy... there are a lot of girls I know who have fed till the baby was a year old... and that's great... but I really believe that as much as you do is good...

There really is no point in feeling guilty and feeling like less of a mother (there really isn't anything like that to begin with)... feeding your baby is a very personal and individual thing... You cannot do it under pressure from family and friends...

Lots of people will try saying "But you will be risking his immunity levels if you don't feed him till he is one" or that "Oh but what about your bond with your baby?" Really what demented statements.... 

You do your best... look after your baby and keep him healthy and happy and nothing will affect him.

And there is nothing in this world that can change or lessen your relationship with your baby... NOTHING.

So breastfeeding is great, its extremely important for a number of reasons that you can google and find out.... but the day for any reason you stop... you don't have to feel bad or guilty.

Just enjoy your baby!!


No comments:

Post a Comment